Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Anatomy Lesson


   Right now I want to talk about the anatomy of the earthworm. Earthworms are bilaterally symmetrical, which means that to the left and right of the giant blood vessel the runs through their backs they are exactly the same.
  Earthworms are one of the few animals, maybe the only one, that has a true ceolom. A ceolom is a fluid-filled body cavity surrounded by a mesoderm. Since I didn't know what a mesoderm was, I googled it. According to Webster, it's the middle layer of an embryo in early development.
  Most people think that worms move simply by expanding and contracting, but that's only partly true. They have little bristles on them that grab the soil, called setae. Each segment has two pairs of two setae on the 'bottom' side.
  I know there's a lot more about it's anatomy that I should cover right now, but I'm not really up to it. Last night I realized, I'm a junior in high school, I really need to figure out what I'm going to do with my life now. I don't want to go straight into college, so I was thinking about maybe joining the peace corps after I graduate. What other opportunities are out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment