Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 9, 2011

How To Start Your Own Worm Business

  Since I don't yet know what I'm going to do with my life, I've been looking at a bunch of options. And one option is vermiculture.
  People really do make money with worms. Some go more for the product, castings, while others focus more on happy, healthy worms to sell. Of course, both kinds sell both products, but their focus is different so one will have inferior quality castings and the other worms. So how do you decide whether to start up your own Worm Business?
  First, there are some questions that anyone thinking about starting a new business should answer:

How can I market my product?
What income do I want/expect?
Part or full time job?
What business experience do I have?
Does my region have marketing opportunities for my product?
Who are my competitors? How can I be better?
What financial/ physical resources do I have?
Solo or a partnership?

  After, or before, or even while, you're answering these questions, you want to learn as much as possible about the kind of business you want to begin. If you've already done this, great! But if you haven't, read books, websites, magazine articles, etc. Go to workshops, seminars, business class. Get as much help as you can, unless you'll be forced to pay heavy interest or the like.

  Before you start up the commercial side of your earthworm farm (if that's what you're doing), you must must must have a product packaged and ready to be bought. If you're planning on selling worms, make sure you have enough to supply several big orders at once and still have enough left over to quickly rebuild the population. However, if you are planning on selling the castings, you have to start months in advance, because castings take a long while to build up to the point where you have enough to sell.

  Also, if you are advertising that the castings are organic, make sure that all the food you are feeding the worms is organic, otherwise they aren't.

I got all of this information either from my own head, or from p2pays.org. (I hope they don't get mad at me for taking the information.)

No comments:

Post a Comment