Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

To start off with...

This is my first blog, so I'm going to be learning throughout this whole process, but I hope I'll do an okay job.

For the last two years, I've been fascinated by worms. I know, kind of a weird thing for a 15 year old girl to be interested in, but I was. I spent months on the computer researching them after I found out that people all around the world raise them. Not as pets, but as a mini composting system. Earthworms produce very high quality compost, and this is most likely what convinced mom to get me some.

For Christmas in 2011 (last year), I got a worm bin. A few weeks later we bought the worms online, after another week of waiting, I finally had my worm bin all set up and ready to go.
In all of my research, I had discovered that the most common issue new 'wormers' encounter is overfeeding. People tend to feed the worms too much when they're trying to get used to their new surroundings.

So my problem was instantly the opposite. I would feed them a handful of carrot peelings and promptly forget about them for almost month. So now, even though I have had my squirm/herd (there are many different names for a group of worms) for 11 months, I am only on the second of three trays.

However, now my bin and I have reached a (more or less) happy equilibrium. I still forget to feed them sometimes, and sometimes I feed them too much, but we always seem to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment